Audio File: Download/Play Recording
Date: November 7, 2017
Guest Speaker: Susan Turnbull, Founder and Principal of Personal Legacy Advisors and Lani Peterson, PsyD
Host: John A. Warnick, Esq., Founder, Purposeful Planning Institute
- Three Steps to Inspire Action Through Story
- Conversation Prompt Card
- Picture the Legacy You Would Like to Create
Join legacy specialist Susan Turnbull and story expert Lani Peterson, PsyD as they share their process of deepening client engagement through the lens of stories. Using an easy to learn strategy, Susan and Lani will share their universally applicable narrative framework for uncovering and exploring the themes and values revealed through clients’ life experiences. This story listening approach yields not only deeply engaging interaction but rich source of material for planning, especially in the realm of envisioning legacy, sometimes a difficult or awkward subject to talk about in any depth.
- Face to face meetings with clients need to effectively balance the technical and the personal in a short amount of time. This can be done by using a story-based approach to engage clients/families quickly, easily and deeply, while tying their values to their planning, especially in the realm of envisioning legacy.
- Why use story-based approach? Story is psychologically elemental and powerful. Almost any story a client tells from his life, from minor to momentous, can be thoughtfully developed and leveraged in conversation to reveal personal history and core values, providing a lens for values-based planning and a bridge to the topic of legacy.
- The Life Legacy Conversations Tool: Inspiring Action Through Story is a three-step model for taking a story-based approach, developed by Susan and Lani. To learn more visit http://www.legacytoolkit.com/.
Purposeful Quote: “Face to face conversation is the most human-and humanizing-thing we do.” – Sherry Turkle, author of Reclaiming Conversation